From Japan


私のMTB。30年程前にカナダに移民する時に日本から一緒に来ました。

自転車に詳しい方ならご存知のARAYAのMTBです。私は大して自転車に詳しくないけど、当時お世話になっていた自転車屋さんからMTBを買おうと思っていた時にARAYAの話も聞いて、「これは良さそうだな・・」と買ったのでした。

このMTBには色々な思いでがあります。富士山でも走りました。当時は、パナソニックのロードバイクも乗っていて(日本に置いてきた)、自転車で通勤していたりもしていた、それなりにアクティブな小僧でしたね。(笑)

カナダに移住してからは激動の移民生活だったので、自転車を楽しむ余裕もなく日々の生活に終われ、このMTBも長い間ストレージに置かれた時もありました。

映画やTVドラマのような華やかな海外生活とは程遠かったけど、今となっては面白い思い出もあります。ま~今も決して楽ではないけど、家族と共に大自然を楽しんだり趣味の自転車も楽しめるようになっただけ良かったと思っている。

My MTB. I brought it with me from Japan when I immigrated to Canada about 30 years ago.

It’s an ARAYA MTB—a brand that bike enthusiasts will recognize. I’m not much of a bike expert myself, but when I bought it from the bike shop I frequented back then, the owner mentioned ARAYA, and I thought, “This looks like a good one…” so I bought it. I have many memories tied to this MTB. I even rode it  Mount Fuji. Back then, I also rode a Panasonic road bike (which I left behind in Japan) and commuted by bike, I was a pretty active kid, wasn’t I? 😄

Since moving to Canada, my life as an immigrant has been quite turbulent. I was so swamped with daily life that I didn’t have the time to enjoy cycling, and there were times when this MTB sat in storage for ages. It was a far cry from the glamorous life abroad you see on TV or in dramas, but looking back now, I have some funny memories. Well, it’s still not exactly easy, but I’m just glad that I’ve been able to enjoy the great outdoors with my family and get back to my hobby of cycling.

Comments

Popular Posts