改まる・Rethinking
Before buying this bike, I was an old guy who had been thinking about buying a motorcycle for the first time in 30 years. My son started riding a motorcycle about five years ago, and he’s been giving me some weird inspiration , so I’d been wanting to ride a motorcycle again for the first time in a long while. At the same time, I’d occasionally been eyeing gravel bikes and e-bikes, thinking, “Those look nice.”
But whether it was a motorcycle, a gravel bike, or an e-bike, they were all out of my budget as an old guy, so I’d just been checking out private sales from time to time. Then I came across this bike, and the seller was so kind that I ended up buying it for just $25—almost like getting it for free. I’m truly grateful to the seller.
It’s a model from about 20 years ago, and while the parts have worn out a bit, the frame itself is still solid, so I’m gradually sprucing it up. When I was in third grade, the guy at the local bike shop taught me some basic bike maintenance. I really miss those days. It also reminds me of when I used to ride my bike to the next town over a bit too far for a kid or go on rides outside my school district.
It might seem strange at my age, but I find myself pedaling with a surprisingly fresh sense of excitement. I’m an old man who gets winded even on a slight uphill 😅 Somehow, my entire life flashes before my eyes, leaving me with an indescribable feeling. But it’s not painful it’s actually kind of fun.
この自転車を買う前は、30年ぶりにオートバイを買おうと思っていたオヤジです。息子が5年程前からオートバイに乗り出して、オヤジに変な刺激を与えてくれるので(笑)私も久しぶりにオートバイを乗りたくなっていた。それと同時にグラベルバイク(自転車)や電動アシスト付き自転車も「いいな~」と時折見ていたのです。
でもオートバイにせよグラベルバイクや電動アシスト付きにせよ低予算のオヤジには無理があり、時々個人売買を覗いてはいたのでした。そしてこの自転車との出会いがあり、売主もとても親切な方でほぼ無料のような価格の$25で購入したのでした。売主には本当に感謝です。
20年程まえのモデルで、消耗品などはそれなりにヘタってたけど自転車本体はしっかりしていて、少しづつ手を入れて綺麗にしてあげてます。小学3年生の頃、近所の自転車屋のおじさんに簡単な自転車のメンテナンスを教わっていました。あの頃が懐かしいです。そして私が自転車に乗って子供にはちょっと遠い隣の町など、いわゆる学区外へサイクリングしていた頃を思い出します。
この歳になって変だけど、なんだかとても新鮮な気持ちでペダルを漕いでます。ちょっとした上り坂でもきつく感じるジジイ(笑)なんだかこれまでの人生が重なって、なんとも言えない気持ちとなります。でも苦痛ではなく、なんだか楽しいのです。



Comments
Post a Comment