Lack of study / 勉強不足
2週間ほど前、個人売買でブルホーンハンドル(新品)を買っていた。しかしそこに勉強代を払うことになった哀れなオヤジ。
この自転車(Corrida)を買ってから30年ぶりに頻繁に自転車に乗るようになったけど、他のテクノロジーと同様にこの30年間で自転車もかなり進化していた。30年前はロードバイクとMTBを楽しんでいた私、自分でできるメンテナンスや修理は好んでやっていたからその延長でこの自転車のパーツ交換も気軽に考えていたのでした。
ステムのハンドルマウント寸法(クランプ径)が一般的には2種類あるのだが、私のCorridaは昔からある25.4mm、そのことだけしか考えていなかった私はCorridaに付いているブレーキとシフターをそのまま流用しようとブレーキのブラケットをハンドルに通すときに「あれ?入らない・・」とブラケット径とハンドル径(握り径)の寸法の違いに気が付いたのでした。
About two weeks ago, I bought a pair of bullhorn handlebars (brand new) from a private seller. But here I am, a pathetic old guy who ended up paying the price for my inexperience.
Since buying this bike (a Corrida), I’ve started riding frequently for the first time in 30 years, but just like other technologies, bicycles have evolved quite a bit over the past three decades. Thirty years ago, I enjoyed riding road bikes and mountain bikes, and since I liked doing my own maintenance and repairs, I casually assumed I could easily replace parts on this bike as well.
There are generally two types of handlebar mount dimensions for stems, and my Corrida uses the older 25.4mm standard. Focusing solely on that fact, I tried to reuse the brakes and shifters that came with the Corrida as-is. But when I tried to slide the brake bracket onto the handlebar, I realized, “Huh? It doesn’t fit…” that’s when I noticed the difference in diameter between the bracket and the handlebar.
すぐにネットでハンドルバーの寸法などを調べたら、2000年代頃からクランプ径が25.4mmより太い31.8mmがあり、握り径も私が知っていた22.2mmから23.8mmと太いものがある事を知ったのでした。これは私の勉強不足であります。ハンドルバーは昔何度も変えていた事があったので、何も考えずにいたのでした。
I immediately looked up handlebar dimensions online and discovered that, starting around the 2000s, there were clamps with a diameter of 31.8 mm thicker than the standard 25.4 mm and that the grip diameter also ranged from the 22.2 mm I was familiar with up to 23.8 mm. This was due to my own lack of knowledge. Since I had changed my handlebars many times in the past, I hadn’t given it a second thought.
30年間の空白、現在はネットビジネスが当たり前の時代。自転車のパーツも昔とは比べられない程様々な物があり値段も様々。調べていたらハンドルバーの径も様々な組み合わせの物がある事を知り、私の自転車に適合する物もすぐ見つけることができました。
低予算オヤジですから、高額なハンドルバーは買えませんし必要ありませんのでAmazonで安いハンドルをオーダー。本来は黒のハンドルバーが欲しかったのですが、黒は人気があるのか?同じものでもクロームと黒では値段が2倍以上違い、「黒のグリップテープを巻くからクロームでもOK」と、セコオヤジは即決(笑)
After a 30-year hiatus, we’re now in an era where online shopping is the norm. There’s an unimaginable variety of bicycle parts available today far more than in the past and prices vary widely. While doing some research, I discovered that handlebars come in a wide range of diameter combinations, and I was able to find one that fit my bike right away.
Since I’m a budget conscious old guy, I can’t afford and don’t need expensive handlebars, so I ordered a cheap pair from Amazon. I actually wanted black handlebars, but maybe black is just popular lately ? Even for the exact same model, the price difference between chrome and black was more than double, so I figured, “I’ll just wrap them in black grip tape, so chrome is fine,” and this penny pinching old guy made the decision on the spot 😅.
そのような事があり2週間ほどCorridaには乗れませんでした。その間にMTBの方も少し改造したりしてました。娘が私のMTBをとても気にいり(サイズも合っていて)、ハンドルポジションを少し上げる為にステムのライザーバーを入れたり、Corridaに付けていたハンドルグリップとミラーをMTBにスワップしました。
次はサドルの交換を考えています。私のようなセコオヤジだと、この疲れたサドルが余計にセコオヤジを引き立ててくれますから。
でも、そもそも私の事など誰も見ていませんがね(笑)
Because of that, I couldn’t ride the Corrida for about two weeks. During that time, I made a few modifications to my MTB as well. My daughter really liked my MTB (it was the right size for her), so I installed a riser stem to raise the handlebar position a bit, and swapped the handlebar grips and mirrors from the Corrida onto the MTB.
Next, I’m thinking about replacing the saddle. For a cheapskate old guy like me, this worn out saddle really brings out that cheapskate vibe.
But then again, nobody’s even looking at me anyway (lol).






Comments
Post a Comment