Too bad / 残念な事
Last Saturday evening, I went for a 10-kilometer ride around the neighborhood to test out the new handlebars I’d just installed. But something unfortunate happened.
A straight, single-lane road running along one side of a farmland area. The road is wide enough for large trailers to pass, and the shoulder has a designated cycling lane marked with white lines that provides ample space for cyclists. As I was riding along it, a car approaching from behind threw a water bottle at me; it hit my back, and water splashed everywhere.
For a moment, I didn’t know what had happened. Was it an animal or something?
先週末の土曜日の夕方、付け替えたハンドルバーの調子を確かめたくて近所を10km程走ってきた。でも残念なことが起きてしまった。
農場地帯の片側 1車線の直線道路。ここは大型トレーラーも走れるほどの広さで路肩には白線で仕切られた自転車の為の幅も十分ある道路。そこを走行していたら、背後から来たクルマから水ボトルを投げつけられ背中に当たり水か飛び散りました。
一瞬何が起こったのか分からなかったのです。動物か何か?・・・
Then, I felt as though the car passing me was driving slowly for a moment, as if to see how I was doing. When it came up behind me, it applied the engine brake, clearly slowing down as it approached me.
I had my headlights and taillights on and was driving as close to the very edge of the shoulder as possible so as not to get in the way of cars or trucks.
That driver harmed me while in a position of absolute advantage. It may have been a prank, but it was a very dangerous act, and the driver is truly a coward. I couldn’t see the car’s license plate, but I clearly remember the make and model.
A silver Mitsubishi Lancer, 10th generation
そして私を追い抜いていくクルマが私の様子を伺っているように感じました。そのクルマは私の背後に来た時にエンジンブレーキをかけ、明らかに減速し私に近づいてきました。私は、ライトも前後に点け、クルマやトラックの邪魔にならないように路肩の極力一番端を走っていました。
その犯人は、絶対的に自分が有利な状況で私に危害を与えました。悪ふざけなのかもしれませんが、とても危険な行為ですし本当に卑怯者です。そのクルマのナンバープレートは見えませんでしたが、車種や仕様はしっかりと覚えています。
シルバーの三菱ランサー・10th ジェネレーション
I live in the countryside, I’m a car enthusiast, and I drive around every day for work, so I’d probably spot that Mitsubishi right away. I’m not dwelling on it now, but it’s truly painful to know that there are people in this area who would commit such a regrettable act.
Lately, electric-assist bicycles and scooters have been causing problems by breaking the rules, but since there have always been cyclists who don’t follow the rules even among those who simply enjoy riding that might also have contributed to the mindset of the person who caused this harm.
It was a very disappointing weekend evening.
私の暮らす所は田舎ですし、私はクルマ好きだし普段仕事で毎日クルマで走り回っていますからその三菱車もすぐ見つけられうでしょう。今更何も考えてませんが、そのようなとても残念な行為をする人がこの地域にいる事が本当に辛い。
最近は、電動アシスト付きの自転車やスクーターなどもルールを守らず問題になっていますが、元々自転車を楽しむサイクリストにもルールを守れない方々がいて問題がありますから、それも今回の様な危害を加える者の心理状態に何かあったのかもしれません。
とても残念な週末の夕方でした。


Comments
Post a Comment